Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Shenandoah Valley Blueberry Cake 蓝莓蛋糕

I bought a punnet of blueberries from the supermarket in my neighborhood when they were on sales. I paid SGD2.99 for 125g.

This is the first time I bought blueberries. I bought them specially for baking purpose. As I didn't have any recipe in mind, I browsed through a recipe book borrowed from the library and chanced upon this recipe.

The recipe uses a cup of blueberries, either fresh or frozen, and that means this cake is full of blueberries.


I was very excited as this was the first time I baked with blueberries, FRESH one.

With only basic ingredients used, not even vanilla was added, this cake tasted rather "plain" at first bite but I started to get addicted to it after second, third bites. I was able to taste the real taste of the cake, mild buttery and milky taste paired with slight tangy and very juicy blueberries, a perfect match.

Enjoy this simple, delicious cake for breakfast, a hi-tea or midnight snack.

The recipe is from The Best of the Bushel, a delicious volume of recipes from the Junior League of Charlotteville, Virginia.

Ingredients:
1-2/3 cups plain flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter (75g), softened (I used 90g)
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar (I used ¾ cup only, 90% filled)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk (80ml)(I added extra 1 tbsp)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 190C and generously grease a 9" square or round pan. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and stir to mix well.
2) Beat butter and sugar with a mixer at high speed until well combined.
3) Add egg and beat well for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl, until the mixture is smooth and light.
4) Stir in half the flour mixture then half the milk, mixing just enough to keep the batter fairly smooth and well combined. Add the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of milk, mixing gently. Stir in blueberries.
5) Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 190C for 30 minutes or until the cake is golden, springs back when touched gently in the center and is pulling away from the site of the pan.
6) Serve a square cake right from the pan, warm at room temperature, cut into small squares. If it's round, let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack or folded kitchen towel for 10 minutes, and then turn it out to cool on wire rack, top side down.

Note:
It's not necessary to flour the berries as the batter is rather thick, it would be able to hold the berries from sinking to the bottom.

(Recipe source: Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott)

12 comments:

  1. Hi Angel, the cake looks great especially with the blueberry, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another blueberry recipe that I want to bookmark. Recently I saw a beautiful blueberry cheesecake, thought of giving a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess/ MeRy,

    Thanks for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anncoo,

    Looking forward to see your beautiful blueberry cheesecake, that is my fav cheesecake.

    I made another blueberry cake last weekend, this time it's a richer taste, will share the recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tried! now is one of my favors!! ^^

    any fruit can substitute blueberry? my hubby doesn't like blueberry... sighs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I love reading your blog and had tried this recipe as i have some fresh blueberries in my fridge. But the result i got is the cake was not moist enough, quite dry as i find, I'm using 75g of butter, is this the main cause for not getting moist cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 俏瑾,

    Same as my mom, she also doesn't like the taste of blueberries.

    I think the fruit to use must have some juice (like blueberries) else the cake may be a bit dry. You may try to use other berries such as strawberries but personally I have not tried before. If you do try, please let me know the outcome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mummyooi,

    Thanks for visitng my blog.

    The fat content of this recipe is relatively low (I look at the ratio of butter and flour) that's why I increase the butter and milk amount. You are right this may be one of the reasons.

    As I don't know your standard of "moist" so I can't really comment but if you are comparing this with butter cake for example you will find this cake dry for sure. The beauty of this cake is it's not oily but it's not dry either. If you were to try to make it again I suggest you increase the butter and milk amount.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this Blueberry Yogurt Butter cake recipe. I baked this yesterday, it's great!
    Here is my link http://my-sweet-hut.blogspot.com/2010/08/blueberry-yogurt-butter-cake.html

    Cheer! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cynthia,

    You are welcome!

    And thanks for leaving me a comment that's how I find out your lovely blog. Ur cake looks good in 7" pan too.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angel,

    I have baked this and linked to you. :) Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"