Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Fruit Pastry 水果蛋糕

I made this popular pastry for three friends during our gathering. Can you believe this was my first attempt and it was given away as gift?

I actually planned to test it out first before the gathering. I went to the nearby supermarket thinking to buy some fresh strawberries and blueberries for the cake. However, I couldn't find any (this is always the case, when you want to buy none is available, when you not intend to buy you always see them on the shelf).

I remembered I had a can of peach in my kitchen cabinet. So I went home empty handed with the intention to use canned peach for the topping. But who know I was wrong, I couldn't find the canned peach. As I was lazy to go out again I called off the plan.

On the day of gathering I went ahead to make this cake but with a backup plan to make another cake if this failed. As I never tried this cake before, I reserved some batter to make a small cup cake for myself to taste.


I was lucky that the cake turned out quite well. The taste was very refreshing and fragrant. On the same day I also made some pandan flavoured clear water cake to give away.

I first saw this nice cake two years ago in BakingMum's blog and I left a message to tell her that I would like to give it a try. For some reasons I didn't make it. I must thank HHB and BHM for reminding me two years later. Else I will miss out this wonderful recipe.

Fruit Pastry

Ingredients:
(A)
165g sugar (original 200g)
100g butter
55g sour cream/yogurt (original 50g) (I used F&N Alive mango low-fat yogurt)(see note)
(B)
3 eggs
(C)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon/orange zest
(D)
210g plain flour }
1 tsp baking powder } sift together
(E)
500g fruits* (I think the amount of fruit depends on the surface area of the pastry)
2 tablespoon sugar for tossing(optional)
*strawberry, blueberry, kiwi, apricot, peach, grapes, pear, cherry, plums, orange, pineapple, or even canned fruits like longan, lychee.

Method:
1) Wash, cut and strain fruits in a strainer. Toss with sugar (if desired) and set aside. Omit sugar if using canned fruits.
2) Grease and flour the side of a baking pan (7"x11" or 9" round) and line the base with parchment paper.
3) Beat (A) together till light and fluffy. Add (B) one at a time, mix well.
4) Add (C), mix to combine.
5) Add sieved (D) and mix until everything is smooth.
6) Place batter into prepared pan and smoothen the top with a spatula.
7) Place fruits on top and decorate as desired, remember not to press down the fruits.
8) Bake in preheated oven of 180C for 60-70 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on wire rack and sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.

Note:
1) Though the cake is not dry if I were to make again I will add extra yogurt to make it moister and some lemon juice to give a tangy taste.
2) I used 3 small aluminium trays, baking time cut down to about 30 mins.
3) I suggest cutting the fruits in small chunks and not too thick so that the bake is more even.

I agree with HHB that this cake is additive! I would probably bake it again this coming weekend.
Happy Baking!

15 comments:

  1. A beautiful cake. I also saw few bloggers baked this cake and I already bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aiyah...I am hungry now. Can I have a piece?? yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful and delicious! I like the idea of baking in the foil trays - less to wash up plus perfect to give away! I may try this this wkend when I'm at my mum's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel, I always bake something new to give away :P. I saw this in some blogs and had bookmark as well, hope able to bake soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anncoo/ PlumLeaf/ Jess,

    Quickly try it out and show me your beautiful fruirt pastry.

    Best is to get different fresh fruits (just need to avoid those very juicy type), I am sure the cake will look more beautiful.

    I am waiting for weekend to come so that we can go to the supermarket to get some fresh fruits and bake this cake again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, I baked it with fresh strawberry, grape and peach this evening...the outcome is so delicious and yummy!! haha...thanks for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cook.Bake.Love,我刚做完你教的这个水果蛋糕,非常的棒!照着你所说的,我把放入yogurt:135g,lemon juice:15g,真的很好吃,这是我第一次知道yogurt可以用来做蛋糕,不仅在口感上增添了滑润感,而且在味觉上多了那么一点酸酸和那么一点的香醇。给了我很大的惊喜!配上表层的烤水果,真是锦上添花呀!我要去找你说的这个F&N Alive mango low-fat yogurt,不知道jusco有卖吗?anyway,谢谢你提供的这道美味食谱。

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous,

    不用客气。可以报上你的大名吗?

    几年前我开始接触到用yogurt做蛋糕就爱上了,因为感觉比较健康。我也试过用它来做免揉面包。

    我觉得F&N Alive牌的yogurt味道特别香。试过同一个食谱用这个牌和其他品牌来做,出来的效果用Alive的比较香。

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Cook.Bake.Love,我没有大名,叫我无名小卒好了,嘻嘻。等我建立了自己的部落格就告诉你,暂时还没有也。谢谢你抽空来回复我哦:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 我问你哦~fruit pastry cake~ 为什么我把牛油,糖跟yogurt搅打时会油水分离的样子 T————T 如果油水分离应该继续做下去吗??

    ReplyDelete
  12. bbit_41,

    通常在加入鸡蛋时才可能会出现油水分离的状况,如果是加入了鸡蛋才出现这个状况通常加入一点面粉然后继续打就没问题了。

    这个蛋糕我很久没有做了已经忘了牛油,糖和yogurt一起打时的样子。

    很抱歉未能给你确切的解答。但是如果换成是我,我会继续做下去,不要浪费材料嘛,我觉得应该不会有太大问题。

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"