Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chocolate Chips Cookies (Rub-in Method)

My blog friend, Pauline, is very generous to share her 'secret recipe' of Famous Amos taste alike chocolate chips cookies. When I read her post, I was so tempted to try her recipe.

Unlike most cookies recipe which is using creaming method, Pauline's recipe is using rub-in method. This is not something new to me. I practiced the rub-in method during last Chinese New Year when I made pineapple tarts. :)

I attempted the recipe last Sunday. The cookies turned out to be very yummy. I brought one tub to office to share with my colleagues and they were very well received. End of the day it left only one piece in the container. I guess nobody wants to have the last piece. Haha, this is always the case.

I like the recipe very much because the measurement is so straightforward, you don't even need a weighing machine to do the job. Moreover, using rub-in method means I have fewer utensils to wash.


I reproduce the recipe here (recipe adapted from here).

Ingredients:
(A)
250g cold butter (cut into small cubes)
½ cup brown sugar
2½ cups plain flour*
1 tsp baking soda*
½ tsp baking powder*
½ tsp salt
* Can be replaced by self-raising flour
(B)
1 beaten egg (about 55g with shell)(I used A size egg)
50g melted chocolate (set aside to cool)(I replaced by 2 tbsp of chocolate milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract (not in the original recipe)
(C)
150-200g chocolate chips (I also added some chopped walnut)

Method:
1) Use fingertips to rub (A) till lumpy (I did so with a help of a fork).
2) Add (B) to (A) mixture to form a dough (do not knead).
3) Add (C).
4) Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto lined baking tray (use 2 small spoons, one for scooping and another one for 'pushing' the dough onto the baking tray). Leave some space between the cookies to allow for spreading. Flatten cookie dough slightly with the back of a fork.
5) Bake in preheated oven at 150C for about 12mins or until cookies turn light brown. **
6) Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and keep in airtight container.
**Adjust according to your oven temperature because every oven functions differently. I baked at 170C and switched to 150C in between for about 15 mins.

Kitchen note:
1) Total I only made 55 'big' cookies. Because I wanted to be fast, my each drop of cookie dough was quite big size. I think I still prefer bite-size cookies, so next time I will try to make each drop smaller.
2) I find the cookies a bit flaky though everyone says it is just nice (this is just my own liking, I prefer 'harder' cookies actually). I believe it is the baking soda that makes the cookies flaky, so next time I will cut down the baking soda to ½ tsp to see the effect.
3) I also intend to try baking at higher temperature next time (180-190C).

25 comments:

  1. wow.. these cookies look really good. Chocolate chips are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy yummy..i also got a recipe similar with this.have to try out in one day.Thanks for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yummy.. i love cookies!!!! i m a cookie monster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So easy to make...must try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tracieMoo,

    I got even browing for this batch of cookies, I am happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cheey potato,

    You're welcome. Hope to see your version of choc chips cookies soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merryn,

    hehe, I guess not many people can restrict from freshly baked cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anncoo,

    Ya, it is VERY easy, quickly try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sock Peng,

    当午餐、晚餐也行!呵呵

    ReplyDelete
  10. increase the oven temp will burn the dough... hard cookies means dryer texture and requires longer air time in the oven... the hot air will dry out the cookies to be harder type like famous amos... Precy under bake some and I also explained to her this...

    so if you are make another batch... leave the tray in the oven at 150 degree or 140 degree for longer time perhaps extra 5-8 min to dry our the dough... if you eat hard cookies you can see that the dough is dry-out... hope this tip is good enough to help you make a harder cookie... personally I also like it harder.

    heat can dry clothing fast... its the same reasoning for food...

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look delicious! Thank for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    nice cookies, would def give it a try. regarding the playpen vs baby cot, I guess baby cot is more exp, storing is a problem, is firmer compared to the playpen. i use the playpen for daytime and at time zach sleeps with me. if you were to put your baby for day and night, a cot provides better support and its def firmer. For Chris, he was a very good boy, day time I put him in there (lower layer) n he basically spent most of his time in there (watch tv, eat and sleep) without complaining. Some babies tend to complain. One great thing about playpen, very easy to store and you can bring it anywhere you like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice, will give it a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pauline,

    Thanks for your advices and tips. I will definitely try to bake again...it's so delicious but I got to watch up for my weight, so probably I won't bake it again so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karine,

    You are welcome!

    Thanks for dropping by my site, if I am not wrong this is the first time you leave comment, comments are welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ohbin,

    Thanks a lot for your advice. They are very useful to me as a new mother. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi J Sky,

    Share with me the verdict after trying. Hope you will like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi, i tried the cookies a few nites ago... i felt it was a bit too flaky tooo! lik one bite and everything in dat bit crumbles in ur mouth immediately... i did put it at 150 degrees for about 20-22mins... me+my friends all loved it.. just for the abit diff texture part... the taste was there... thks for sharing... let me know if u found a way to make it more crunchy lik famous amos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi ~t@b!H4,

    U used self-raising flour or plain flour with baking powder and baking soda?

    The other cookie that I made was not flaky.

    http://angelcookbakelove.blogspot.com/2009/04/peanut-better-chocolate-chips-cookies.html

    I will make some adjustment in my next attempt and for sure I will post in my blog to share with u guys the verdict. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hiya... i used self raising flour.. i mite lik mix the flour nx time instead.. =) i lik crunchy famous amos... would prob bak this again soon.. and adjust some stuff.. =) thks! will check here for u nx attempt! thks

    ReplyDelete
  21. i tried these cookies today and they turned out good! They are flaky, alright. I cut back the soda to 1 tsp and still turned out flaky. Otherwise, taste good to my children approval. I will definitely bake these again, only i will also cut back on the melting chocolate as i think i put too much as its darker than the Amos. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous,

    You are welcome! Remember to leave your name next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Angel, first of all thank you for posting this cookie recipe post.
    I intent to bake this, but was wondering if it could be possible to use just 200g of butter instead of 250g of butter?

    thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"