Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Golden Light Cheddar Cheesecake 烫面轻车打芝士蛋糕



Thanks everyone for your concern. I have fully recovered from stomach flu. :)

I baked this cake last week when I have just recovered. Basically it's to clear stock of the sliced cheddar cheese in the fridge. I left with 4 slices; they have been sitting in the fridge for the longest time. I was hesitating if I should use all. In the end I only used 2 slices as I need to "hide" the taste of cheese from my mom who doesn't eat cheese (she just refused to taste any kind of cheese including cheesecake).

I wanted to have a more spongy cake, thus, I chose to use 烫面method (flour and egg yolk were added to warm liquid) and I added a whole egg to the egg yolk mixture. I learnt this from the Clear Water Cake. By adding whole egg to the egg yolk mixture the cake will have more volume and more springy.




My cake turned out to be spongy, moist and soft with very mild cheese flavour (my mom didn't find out that the cake contained cheese and she said the cake was very nice).

A little bit to my disappointment, the cake rose beautifully in the oven but shrunk down with a waistline after cooling. I read that this could be because the oven temperature is too high but I have baked at very low temperature (130-150C).

I am sharing my recipe here as a record for myself, still need to experiment more to find ways to prevent the cake from shrinking too much. If you bake this please let me know the verdict, whether the cake shrinks.


Golden Light Cheddar Cheesecake
(Recipe source: Angel of Cook.Bake.Love)

Ingredients:
(A)
70g milk
2 slices cheddar cheese
25g butter
(B)
55g superfine flour/cake flour
(C)
4 egg yolk
1 whole egg
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
(D)
4 egg white
55g castor sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 150C (upper and lower fire), line the bottom of an 8" round pan with parchment paper and grease the side with butter.
2) Combine (A) in a pot,keep stirring with a hand whisk while cooking over low heat till butter is melted. Remove from heat.
3) Sift in (B) while the milk mixture is still warm, mix well.
4) Set the pot over hot water to keep warm, then add (C), and mix well.
5) Whisk egg white and cream of tartar in (D) till frothy, add sugar in 2 batches, beat till soft peak.
6) Fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture, mix till just incorporated, then pour the batter to the remaining egg white mixture, mix till just incorporated.
7) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 150C for about 20 mins with lower fire only and switch to 130C upper and lower fire to bake for another 25 -30 mins till cooked (depends on individual oven, need to adjust the timing and temperature accordingly).
8) Invert the cake immediately after removing from the oven, unmould and cool on wire rack upside down.

38 comments:

  1. this look so yummylicious and your cake texture is excellent too will try it out soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me, your cake look ok, moist and good. Thanks for remind me of this cheddar cheese cake, so long i did not bake one, I have some cheese left in fridge, must quickly bake this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel, glad to hear that you have fully recovered, me too :). The cake looks very good to me, soft and spongy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel, thanks for sharing this recipe and your experiment findings.
    I like the texture light and spongy. As for the shrinking, did you leave inside the oven to cool after bake with the door open ajar?
    Will give it a try and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie,

    I didn't leave the cake inside the oven to cool.

    Actually I am quite confused. Some books I read ask to cool the cheesecake with oven door open ajar as long as an hours but some books actually ask to remove the cake from the oven immediately.

    I am not referring to any particular recipes but as general.

    I thought the texture/method of this cake is more like a chiffon cake to me so I follow the chiffon cake method to invert the cake immediately after removing from the oven.

    I look forward to reading your verdict after trying out this cake. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imaging how cheddar cheese will turn out in cake, therefore, I never dare to try. May I know as compare to the Japanese Cotton Cheesecake which uses creamcheese, which taste better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For very light cheesecakes, like these, the cake should be removed from oven immediately and removed from the mould for even shrinking. If not you'll be left with high sides and a short center. Alex Goh's cookbooks always ask ppl o unmould cakes like these immediately.
    It may fall and become short, but it will not be dense like kuih, and still be tender.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 很美很美涅,工夫很到家,我很喜欢~~可以拿去卖了...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cynthia,

    The cheese and butter used in this cake is very little and I didn't use any cornflour and bake with water bath. So the texture of both cakes is different. Unless I use the same Jap Cotton Cheesecake recipe and replace the creamcheese with chedder cheese then I can compare both.

    Jap cotton cheesecake is more creamy and cheesy. This cake is more springy. I like both but for a person who dislike cheese (like my mom) this one is a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy,

    I did remove the cake and unmould immediately.

    I have Alex Goh's cheesecake book and I actually follow his method. I have another cheesecake book written by a Msian chef actually ask to leave the cake in the oven with door open ajar.

    My cake didn't shrink at the center it shrunk evenly with a waitstline. I tried Alex Goh's Jap Cotton Cheesecake I don't have this problem (slight shrink only) I suspect it may be because I didn't bake in water bath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok muhteşem bir görüntüsü var. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cheesecake is nicely baked, soft & spongy, I cannot tell if you never tell us that it was shrinking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like this cheesecake made with sliced cheese is getting popular among bloggers. Yours look really good, will love to try it...the only thing is, I have no confidence in beating egg whites ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...the texture looks very fine and moist. I would love this. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer cheddar cheese cake to classic cheese cake, and yours look great. I agree with you, 烫面 method really yields a softer texture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 这个cheese cake一定好好吃,食谱我要咯。。。有空也欢迎你来我家坐坐。。。嘻嘻

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing. The cake looks soft and moist. I have not tried baking cake with cheddar cheese, shall book mark this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 蓝色小厨,

    我去了你家,好喜欢你的厨房,看了欲罢不能,一口气读完所有的post了。

    ReplyDelete
  19. HHB,

    U must be joing, you have suceeded in so many chiifon cake I am sure you are very good in beating egg white.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've made a sliced cheese cheesecake some time back.

    I've bookmarked your recipe, going to try it one day as I prefer to use sliced cheese over cream cheese as I always have them in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I baked this cake today. It rose beautifully in the oven but collapsed in the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blessed Homemaker,

    I read your sliced cheese cheesecake post. Nice cake u have!

    For light cheesecake I also prefer to use sliced cheese coz it's more handy can eat with bread whereas for cream cheese is purely for cake only.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous,

    I am sorry to hear that.

    Did you remove the cake from oven immediately and invert to cool?

    Do try again. Never give up ok?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi jess@j3ss kitch3n / Sonia/ Jane/ Jess@Bakericious/ Jessie/ Fuat Gencal /DG/ 鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝/ MaryMoh/ Min/ Yummy Koh/ Carrie,

    Thanks for dropping by and for leaving such nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Angel

    Thanks for the great recipe. Tried the texture came out light & spongy but there was a layer of jelly at the bottom. What could have went wrong?

    Cheers
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Susan,

    You are welcome! Glad to hear that you like this cake.

    A layer of "jelly"? Do you mean "kueh-like" layer at bottom? I believe it could be due to mixing of the egg white and egg yolk mixture. Over mix? I ever encountered the same problem few years back when I tried our sponge cake.

    For step (6) try not to over mix, and use folding method instead of stirring. I am sure your cake will come out perfect next time.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  27. 我昨天尝试做了这个蛋糕,烘焙出来的结果,味道不错,我的孩子们都说好吃, 可是蛋糕缩小了整一半,不知问题出在哪里.

    请指教 :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. NSC,

    这个蛋糕出炉后会回缩但不至于一半。

    回缩太多有可能是烤炉温度太高,或是打发过度,通常在烤炉里发得太厉害,出炉后也会缩得特别厉害。

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, thank you for the great recipe, I just did tonight, the cake texture is so moist, so yummy , so light, I love it. Thanks so much

    Apple

    ReplyDelete
  30. Apple,

    Glad to hear your success in making this cake and most importantly u like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, May i know if i could use cake flour for this recipe ?
    Will it affect the texture of the cake ?


    Ying

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Ying,

    Cake flour will be good. I have amended the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi
    Thx for the recipe.
    I just tried it. I added some more cheese but didnt modify anything else.

    are we not supposed to put some flour on the greased pan? When i unmould i have to cut the sides with knife to release. Anyway mine didnt sink at all. I overturned and unmold and return it to the oven to cool.

    However, they cant seem to hold their shape. The cake squish itsel basically. It tastes good tthough, very moist. Should I add something probably since I added more cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      Can you please leave ur name in your comment so that I can recognize you.

      By putting flour on the greased pan helps to unmould but I am always lazy to do so.

      More cheese means more liquid (cheese after cooking become liquid) so your cake will be too moist and can't hold. I think should add more flour. However, since I didn't experiment before using different amount of cheese I can't really advise you much much flour to add. It is best to stick to the amount in the recipe. :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"