I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Sweetylicious.
Recipe adapted from Wendy Kor’s “Bread Code”. Make 2 loaves, I halved the recipe and added some dried cranberries. Below is my adapted recipe.
300g high protein flour/bread flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
125g fresh milk
25g butter, soften
40g dried cranberries (presoak in water for 10 mins, drain and pat dry)
1) Mix flour and yeast evenly. Put in salt, sugar, water and milk. Mix till a dough is formed. Add butter and continue to knead till dough is elastic. Place dough in container (I put in greased big bowl) and cover with cling wrap, leave to proof for 40-50 mins till double in size.
2) Divide the dough into 2 portions equally. Roll into balls and proof for 15 mins.
3) Roll out each portion into long strips, add cranberries on top then roll into cylindrical shape (like making swiss roll) and proof for another 15 mins. Roll out again and roll into cylindrical shape. Place the dough in bread tin, proof for 40-50 mins until dough rises to the same height of the bread tin.
4) Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 30-35 mins. Remove bread from bread tin and cool on wire rack before slicing.
1) I placed the bread tin in a closed oven with a glass of hot water during second proofing (my usual practice), not sure why the dough took 2 hours+ to rise up till 90%, I baked it when it was 90% of the bread tin height. I suspect it could be due to the yeast I used. When I used it to make bread machine bread the bread turned out to be shorter than the usual height.
2) I replaced fresh milk with Lucius’s milk formula as I ran out of fresh milk.