Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Playing with New Mould ~ Cooked Dough (Tang Mian) Pandan Chiffon Cake 烫面班兰戚风蛋糕


How are you doing everyone? Sorry for not being able to update this blog and reply to comments on time due to my work and personal commitment. I am grateful that despite lack of update there are still regular page views on this humble blog of mine. To all my readers, thank you very much for your visit. I foresee I will be getting busier in the near future but I wish to maintain this blog as far as I can.

Today I am sharing a new Pandan chiffon cake recipe which I did last month using my new chiffon tin. I have spotted this tall and slim chiffon tin some time ago in some of my favourite blogs. And yes, I fall in love with it because of its shape. Thanks to D for getting his colleague to get me one from Shanghai. In case you are interested, the brand is 三能 and the model is SN5234.


The size of the chiffon tin is 6”. The base is actually much smaller than the usual 6” chiffon tin but the height is much taller. I think this is the reason I find it more difficult to unmould using bare hand as compared to normal chiffon tin. You really need to press down the cake a lot in order to unmould.

I had some leftover coconut milk from cooking curry so I decided to make a Pandan Chiffon Cake as the “open ceremony” for my new chiffon tin. I adapted a recipe from Alex Goh’s book “Fruity Cakes” which was meant for Swiss roll. Below I am sharing my adapted recipe. The first amount is for 8” chiffon tin whereas the amount in blanket is for 6” chiffon tin. I prepared 8” recipe but baked in 6” tin (filled up till about 70%) and remaining batter baked into cupcakes.

This recipe uses melted butter instead of oil. I find it a bit overwhelming especially I am using store bought pandan paste this time which is not as fragrant as home-made one. However, the texture of this cake is fabulous, very soft and moist. Thanks to the cooked dough (tang mian) method.


Cooked Dough (Tang Mian) Pandan Chiffon Cake

Ingredients:
(A)
60g (45g) butter
(B)
60g (45g) plain flour, sifted
(C)
60g (45g) coconut milk
½ tsp Pandan paste/ extract
(D)
4 (3) egg yolks
(E)
4 (3) egg whites
80g (60g) sugar
Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)

Method:
1) Cook (A) till butter melted. Add (B) and mix until well blended with a hand whisk.
2) Add (C) and mix until well blended.
3) Add (D) and mix well.
4) Whip egg whites in (E) until foamy, add sugar and salt. Continue to whip until about 90% stiff peak (9 分发).
5) Fold in 1/3 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture. Continue to fold in balance meringue until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
6) Pour batter into tube pan and tap the pan on tabletop to release any big air bubbles.
7) Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 40-45 mins until cooked.
8) Invert to cool down completely before unmouding.



38 comments:

  1. 嗯,会继续忙下去吗?
    记得不时冒出来哟:)

    我会想念你的:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 忙碌时也要记得好好休息一下哦!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 高高瘦瘦的〜吃了也不怕胖!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little blue,

      其实我也有这样的想法,我们是不是自欺欺人?

      Delete
  4. Hi Angel, I also like this chiffon pan. Your chiffon cake so tall and pretty. Must get this pan soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,

      Thanks.

      It is actually very small, the size is like those small baskets for ice cubes.

      Delete
  5. 太高的模夫人觉得会不会比较难烤熟?要有好功夫哦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 夫人,

      这个模烘烤时间和8寸模差不多。

      但是要注意烤箱高度,太小的烤箱不适合。

      Delete
  6. 身材美美的pandan chiffon。 哈哈~

    ReplyDelete
  7. 话说。。。偶去年花了马币38买了这个模。。。到现在都还米有给它开光。。。
    有点怕它不容易脱模。。。
    不懂今晚会不会梦到被它追杀哈?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy,

      如用空手脱模就要真的压很多,但是蛋糕脱模后还是会弹回,不用担心。

      Delete
  8. 高高的威风,很漂亮哦,脱模也是美美的。。:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tall and slim look cute right? I also just use it once , hahaha..you did it so well for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia,

      Thanks for telling me the model of this mould so that I can get someone to buy for me.

      Delete
  10. 这模子好特别,真的很高很高,但看起来很好看。我这里是很难可以找到美美的模子。

    ReplyDelete
  11. 最近很热,我热到没有心情做蛋糕,唉。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass,

      我昨晚煮个绿豆汤而言,已满头大汗。

      Delete
  12. 好喜欢这个戚风模。你说新加坡买得到吗?贵不贵?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SSB,

      我没有在新加坡看过。你可以在淘宝买到,可以去三能旗舰店,大概RMB70,不包邮费。

      Delete
  13. Very pretty and tall chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Angel,
    This is such a lovely tall and slim chiffon cake.
    I have not try 'cooked dough' method before.
    Thanks for sharing:)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mui mui,

      Thanks for your compliment. You shal try cooked dough method for comparison. To be frank, I think normal chiffon cake is good enough.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. 38 隐形人,

      你是指蛋糕吗?还是。。。。哈哈哈

      Delete
    2. 蛋糕啦
      不然?
      模? 嘻嘻

      Delete
    3. 可以是烤蛋糕的人。。。咔咔咔

      Delete
    4. 好咯
      你放那个烤蛋糕的人的照片
      我讲
      高高的
      好美

      Delete
  16. tall and handsome..hehe..i didnt know alex goh has also this cooked method for his chiffon..have not tried this method tho..so it's like replacing the oil with melted butter..hor? and i can see the texture is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also like to make some cakes,it seems very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Angel

    I was thinking perhaps you can get your friend to bring back more of this chiffon cake pans from China to sell to us in Singapore. Right now I see only San Leng brand pie tart pan sold in Phoon Huat.

    How much you paid for yours?

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla,

      I paid around S$17 if I remember correctly. I save on the shipping and agent fee from China to Sg. My friend is on business trip I don't think she is keen to do that. :P

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"