Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sardine Puff 烤沙丁鱼角

I made these sardine puffs one month ago for afternoon tea. I adapted the shortcrust pastry recipe from Today newspaper. When I looked at the date I couldn't believe that the newspaper cutout was dated 2 years ago. I have eyeing for this for the longest time and finally I made it.

For the fillings, I mixed the sardines with onion and finely cut chili padi (bird's eyes chili).

The pastry is flaky and buttery and the filling is just the way my family likes their sardines to be, hot and spicy.


I think this baked version still can't beat the fried version. It is not bad though, just let the oven does the job, no deep-frying and major cleaning.

Pastry recipe adapted from Today newspaper dated 11th December 2008. The amount shown below is half the recipe.

Ingredients:

Fillings
1 small can sardine in tomato sauce (I used Ayam brand)
1 small size onion (cut into strips)
4 chili padi (bird's eye chili) (finely cut ) (I think still not spicy enough!)
Pinch of sugar and light soya sauce to taste

Pastry
250g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
125g butter, at room temperature (I replaced with margarine)
1 ½ tbsp ice water
½ egg yolk
For the egg wash: ½ egg yolk + ½ tsp water
**I think the crust is slightly salty. I will add a pinch of sugar if I were to make again.

Method:
1) Place the flour in a mixing bowl, add salt and mix well. Using fingertips, rub the butter into the flour.
2) Add water and egg yolk and mix to form the dough.
3) Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 45 minutes before use (so that it is easier to roll out and handle).
4) Now prepare the fillings. Place the sardines in a bowl, remove bones and break them up with a fork then add the rest of the ingredients (including tomato sauce in the can, reduce the amount if you prefer the fillings dryer), mix well.
5) To assemble, preheat oven to 200C. Roll out the dough to about 0.5mm thick (see tips below).
6) Use a round pastry cutter (about 8cm diameter) to cut out the pastry circles (I use a cup as I do not have round pastry cutter). Place on a baking sheet.
7) Place a spoon of sardines on the centre of each round and fold the pastry into a half moon (I made 2 half moon shape and the rest is round shape, just cover the top with another piece of cut-out pastry).
8) Using the tines of a fork, press down on the edges of the puffs to seal them.
9) Apply egg wash - lightly brush it onto the tops of the pastry.
10) Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown.

Tips:
Rolling out your pastry between sheets of greaseproof paper or cling film (tape it to your work surface to keep it steady) ensures your pastry won't stick to your rolling pin and work surface. Plus, it makes for easy cleaning up, too.

Lastly, the picture below is for a blog friend.

Anncoo, you get what I mean? :)

25 comments:

  1. Your sardine puff looks pretty yummy with crispy pastry skin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo...! I want this :) Looks so yummy. Love it so much. And the bag looks cool too. haha... the polka dots remind me on Ann's swiss roll. Really, it looks almost the same; haha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha...looks exactly the same!! can I have this pic and post next to my cake...so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh... I did sardine puffs yest too but using readymade puff pastry... Ha...

    With your recipe, I shall try again some day with homemade puff pastry... :) thanks for sharing the recipe and the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane,

    U also think the bag lining look like Anncoo's swiss roll right? hahaha. That's why in my post I wrote it's for Anncoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anncoo,

    No problem you may use the picture. It is specially for you (I didn't even put watermark on the picture).

    ReplyDelete
  7. hanushi,

    What a coincident! I also made sardine puff with readymade puff pastry last Sunday. Will post it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sardine puff, but I like the fried version.
    So unhealthy, but so nice, hahahah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to eat sardin puff..tq for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your Sardine puff! Looks so yummy. I wanna try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the bag looks exactly like Ann's polka dot swiss roll heeheehee... the sardine puff looks yummy, I think I will choose this than fry version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angel, already posted your pic in my blog. Have a look...hehee..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been looking for a baked curry puff recipe. Yours look good, have booked marked it, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wah salute, I will definitely use store-bought puff pasty to make...hee...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angel, your sardine puff looks flaky and nice to go with a cup of coffee. Will try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy,
    Haha, I also prefer the fried version but I hate to do deep-frying coz I can't bear to see so much oil being used and also don't like ot stand in front hot stove.

    ReplyDelete
  17. MeRy,
    You are welcome.

    Min/HHB/Jessie,
    Do try it out and let me know the verdict ya. Note that this is not puff pastry, it's shortcrust pastry. There is no layering.

    Jessie, I think we both are coffee lover. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jess,
    Haha, you also know I am referring to Anncoo's swiss roll.

    Anccoo,
    Saw your post already, indeed very matching.

    neyeeloh,
    I agree using ready made puff pastry is much faster and convenient but actually this is not that difficult and time-consuming especially you can prepare the pastry in advance and keep in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your sardine puffs. Miss these. Used to buy when I was back home. Must make one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just thinking of making this. Thanks for recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. MaryMoh,
    Thanks for the lovely comment.

    mysimplefood,
    You are welcome! Thanks for dropping by. I also visited your blog, it's such a nice food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working ,great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How many sardine puffs does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      I am sorry this was made 2 years ago, I can't remember. What I can remember is the sardine puffs can fit into one tray, probably less than 10.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"