Baked the famous Mrs. NgSK's butter cake last night ..... not the first time but still in love with the no-crack top and velvety texture.
Here is my adaptation:-
◇ Cut down sugar to 170g
◇ Replace 200g self-raising flour to 200g plain flour + 2 tsp baking powder
◇ 170C 40 mins, change to 160C for the last 5-8 mins when the top has browned.
Happy goat year everyone! I made this cake for my son's birthday which fall within CNY period. It tastes like a cold dessert which is suitable for the recent hot weather.
Ingredients: (make one 8" round cake)
15pcs Oreo biscuits (remove icing and crush finely)
50g melted butter
100g castor sugar/fine sugar
300ml warm water
500g cream cheese (room temp)
1 tbsp condensed milk (optional)
2 tsp vanilla extract
200g dairy whipped cream (whip till stiff peak and keep in fridge till needed)
1) Combine crushed biscuit and melted butter in a mixing bowl. With the back of a spoon or spatula, press the biscuit crumbs firmly onto the base of a 8" springform pan or cake ring. To ensure the base is even, I used a flat-bottom cup to smoothen crumbs. Keep in freezer while you prepare for the batter.
2) Mix (B) and stir to ensure gelatin is dissolved. Ensure no lumps. If there is, remove or strain away the lumps. Let it cool to room temp.
3) Beat (C) at slow speed till creamy and smooth.
4) Slowly pour gelatin mixture while beating slowly. Ensure all incorporated and now batter should be runny consistency.
5) Add whipped cream and mix with slow speed till well combined.
6) Divide batter into 6 equal portions, add colouring and mix well. Pour batter into pan, one colour after another (start with purple and end with pink). Leave it in the freezer to set for about an hour or in chiller for several hours till set.
(Recipe briefly adapted from here)