Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Tree Custard Bread (Super Soft) 圣诞树卡士达面包 (超软)

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers # 2: Christmas! (Dec 2010) hosted by Passionate About Baking.

When I first saw Christmas tree bread from Jane’s Corner, I knew I just got to make myself a “Christmas tree” this Christmas.

Looking at the finished goods, this simple “Christmas tree” immediately set me into the festive mood.

For the bread, I didn’t follow Jane’s recipe. Instead, I tried another recipe that I have bookmarked immediately when I saw it.

It is Super Soft Custard Bread from《孟老师的100道面包》which was seen at SSB’s blog. I should have called my bread “recycled” bread because instead of making the custard paste I used the leftover custard fresh cream from making the Milk Chiffon Cup (aka Hokkaido Chiffon Cake).

The end result is fabulous. As the name suggested, it is indeed super soft. :)

Recipe adapted from 孟兆庆《孟老师的100道面包》which was seen at Small Small Baker.

Ingredients:
(A) - Custard paste starter
1 egg yolk
10g caster sugar
15g bread flour
65g fresh milk
*I didn’t follow this. Instead, I used 55g of leftover custard fresh cream and 20g bread flour.
(B) – Main dough
250g bread flour
30g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
15g milk powder
100g water (I used slightly more)
25g unsalted butter
(C)
Butter for glazing
Icing sugar for dusting

Method:
1) To make custard paste, add (A) into a pan and whisk it until well mixed. Cook it at low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens into paste form. Transfer the paste into a small bowl to cool down, then cover with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 60 mins (I refrigerated for 3 days before use, wraped the entire custurd paste starter with clip wrap).
2) Mix the custard paste and (B) (except butter) together until soft dough is formed.
3) Add in butter and continue to knead the dough until it becomes smooth, elastic and non-sticky.
4) Place the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let proof for about 60 mins.
5) Lightly knead the dough to punch out the gas. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Roll the dough round, cover with cling wrap and rest the dough for 15 mins.
6) Divide each portion into 11 small portions equally. Roll into small balls, arrange the small balls to form “Christmas tree” on a greased baking pan, leave a gap in between each ball. Cover with cling wrap and proof for another 60 mins.
7) Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 10 mins. Once done, brush the top with butter. Remove from pan carefully and cool on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar after cooling down and decorate as desired.

I only made one “Christmas tree”, the other 2 portions I rolled them out and rolled up in swiss-roll style. Bake in a 9”x5” loaf pan, 180C, 12 mins.

Can you tell from the picture how soft the bread is?

24 comments:

  1. wow this is really really pretty angel! looks really soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! Love that soft bun Christmas tree! Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wanted to make this xmas bread from Jane's and submit it to aspiring bakers too! Haha! It's so pretty right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 喲~~
    超有圣诞节气息的,圣诞的脚步越来越靠近了哦~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Christmas tree, and I can know the bread is super soft from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! This is so pretty and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sold! It's too pretty! Will try this bread recipe out too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet looking X'mas bun! Look soft & yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angel, I had bookmarked this recipe too but yet to have time to try it. Your bread looks so festive, I am in mood of xmas after seeing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your breads look so soft leh, and so beautiful as well... merry christmas in advance ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angel,
    Merry Christmas & your christmas tree bread is so lovely & soft, by the way can I use salted butter instead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 个人觉得 自从你来到了 blogspot之后
    不论文章或者食物的分享都做得更好!

    我们一起加油 !

    圣诞节快乐

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very christmassy! Nice idea of bunding them into a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone,
    Thank you for your lovely comments. Merry Chirstmas in advance to all of you.

    SSB,
    Come and join the fun of "Christmas tree" making.

    Jess @ Bakericious,
    Do try out this custard bread recipe, it is very nice.

    Delpine,
    Yes, you can use salted butter. I actually used salted butter for this bread. In fact, most of my bakes I just salted butter.

    Sock Peng,
    谢谢你的鼓舞。在这里写的东西很多都是关于自己对那食物的情感,或是为自己做的笔记那么下次再做时我才会记得。

    ReplyDelete
  15. 怎麼沒想到,不能擁有真的聖誕樹,何不做一個聖誕樹麵包,既能看又能吃,多棒。

    ReplyDelete
  16. sherlyn ,

    你说得真好。如果今年来不及做,那么明年一定做棵可以吃的圣诞树哦!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 唉,我每年都想做家人的生日蛋糕,佳節糕點。。但沒有一次做出來。。希望明年會更好吧。
    Happy New Year。

    ReplyDelete
  18. sherlyn,

    其实我也常常这样。2011年大家一起加油吧!Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. sherlyn,

    其实我也常常这样。2011年大家一起加油吧!Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I *HEART* your Christmas tree!! So pretty and I bet so delicious! =) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"