Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Velvety Chocolate Cake with Banana Butter Cream 嫩嫩的香蕉奶油夹心巧克力蛋糕

The original recipe is actually a devil’s food cake; I rename it because I omitted the chocolate ganache and I think it is no longer “devil”.

Personally I think the step involved is quite a lot but the result is rewarding. The cake is extremely moist and velvety. It goes very well with the banana butter cream (needless to say, of course), perhaps I should also sandwich with some banana slices, I am sure it gives the cake more depth.

One thing to note, separated egg method is used in this cake but the step is a bit different from a typical chiffon cake. The meringue (egg white and sugar mixture) is added to the egg yolk mixture first before adding of flour. I find that it is a bit difficult to incorporate the flour to the egg mixture; I am so worried of deflating the meringue.

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers # 5: Fruity March (March 2011) hosted by Jess of Bakericious. I have another banana cake to be posted; I hope I can make it before the deadline.

Ingredients: (make 2 round 6-inch cakes)

Chocolate Cake
(A)
80g dairy cream
80g bittersweet chocolate
40g unsalted butter
(B)
80g egg yolk
(C)
160g egg white
100g castor sugar
(D)
60g low protein flour (I used cake flour)
20g unsweetened cocoa powder

Banana Butter Cream
90g unsalted butter
25g icing sugar (sifted)
45g mashed bananas

Method:
1) Line the bottom of 2 round 6-inch pans with baking paper. Combine (D) and sift together.
2) Combine (A) and cook over double boiler, stir till chocolate is melted. 2) Add (B), mix till well blended (= egg yolk chocolate mixture).
3) With an electric mixer, beat egg white till foamy, add sugar in 3 sessions, and beat till soft peak (70-80%) (7-8分发) (When lifted, the tip of the meringue has soft and small bend).
4) Take 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the egg yolk chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula till 80% incorporated (need not mix till fully incorporated).
5) Fold in 1/3 of (D) gently, mix till just incorporated.
6) Fold in remaining meringue and (D) alternatively to form even chocolate batter.
7) Divide batter into 2 round 6-inch pans. Bake in preheated oven at 180C/160C for 20-25 minutes (I baked at 170C as my oven can’t set different upper and lower temp.)
8) Cool the cake upside down once remove from oven. Loosen the side with a small knife and unmold after the cakes have cool down completely.
9) To prepare banana butter cream, beat butter and icing sugar till fluffy and pale in colour, add mashed bananas and mix well. Slice the cake horizontally into 2 pieces, sandwich with banana butter cream.

(Recipe reference: 《美味糕点新主张》by 薛纪娟)


I would like to end this post with a “One Lovely Blog Award” presented to me by Edith of Precious Moments. Thank you Edith. I shall share my nomination in another post. I hope I can find time to compose and post it soon.

12 comments:

  1. 漂亮的蛋糕,看了很喜欢,如果有一被咖啡在手就更完美了:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to worry about deflating your meringue because your cake looks so nice and tall and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, here an award for u...
    http://iloveicookibake.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-first-blog-award.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chocolate cake looks really velvety. I ll bookmark this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking cake ! ~ moist, chocolately and with bananas !.... simply irrestible !

    ReplyDelete
  6. pls check this out http://yummykoh.blogspot.com/2011/03/surprise-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cake and looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks soo yummy! Definitely on my next todo list! However, can check which dairy cream you use?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone,
    Thank you for your lovely comments.


    Hi Alice/ Yummy Koh,
    Thank you for your award.


    Hi Admin,
    I use Emborg brand dairy cream. It can be easily found in major supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this recipe yday and must say it's a great recipe! Too bad I didn't make the banana buttercream as inwas too tired at night and only sandwiched with ganache and banana slices. Will definitely make this again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Aimei,

    Glad that you like it.

    Woh, ganache and banana slices, must taste heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"