两位父亲看到这个我特地为他们炮制的父亲节蛋糕似乎是惊多于喜，两个加起来过百的大男人还面带腼腆，切蛋糕仪式就在无声胜有声中草草收场。反倒是Lucius乐在其中，一看到我拿出蛋糕他开心的唱Happy Birthday to you。。。（有cream的cake= Happy Birthday），开心得不得了，拍照时眼睛全程只望着蛋糕，最后我听到他小小声说neh neh。
这个双峰蛋糕没有用特制的球形模，我是用吃饭的碗做的，所以小意思，顶多是B cup或C cup。
This is the cake I make for the two Fathers (my dad and my son’s dad) for Father’s Day which falls on 17th June this year.
I only started to make the cake at 11pm+ the night before and by the time the cake cooled down for frosting it was already 12am+ and worst I over whipped my first batch of fresh cream so I changed my mind to make buttercream. I ran out of time so I proceeded with frosting immediately without chilling the buttercream. Basically the buttercream was melting when I did my piping. I tried to chill it in between when it turned runny but my fridge was too small that I could only chill either the cake or the buttercream at one time. Imagine a mad lady kept opening and closing the fridge door in the midnight.
Needless to say, the piping was terrible but I was happy that I completed the cake, my first 3D cake.
For those who want to attempt a boob cake but without a ball mould, here is good news for you. You can do it with two rice bowls. As I am not sure if the rice bowl is oven-safe so I made steamed cake instead.
I wanted to make my favourite Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake but I thought why not try a new recipe so I picked up another steamed chocolate cake recipe from Alex Goh’s Magic Steamed Cakes. I only had one bite of the cake as I fell sick on the next day so I could not really comment much but for sure Lucius liked it a lot.
|Remaining batter was made into cupcakes.|
Steamed Chocolate (Boob) Cake
3 large eggs
150g sugar (I used 105g)
¼ tsp salt
100g corn oil
100g orange juice (I used store bought sweetened orange juice)
180g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
2½ tsp double action baking powder (I used normal baking powder) (see note 1)
1) Grease and flour two rice bowls and prepare some muffin cups (I used 7 mini silicone cups here). If using metal mould, you need to lightly grease the mould. Fill steamer with water and start to boil water on low heat (or you can start to boil on high heat half way before the batter is done).
2) Whip A until sugar dissolved and slightly thickened (need not beat till ribbon stage, you can use a hand whisk to do the job). Add B, mix until well blended.
3) Fold in sieved C, mix until well combined.
4) Pour into the prepared bowls and cups till 85% full. Steam for about 25-30 mins for the bowls and 15 mins for small cups (steam on high heat for the first 5 mins and then switch to medium heat)(I steamed in two sessions).
5) Cool on wire rack completely before frosting.
1) Most baking powders are double-acting, which means they the baking powder reacts twice; contain one acid that dissolves when it comes in contact with water and another acid that does not dissolve until it reaches a higher temperature in a hot oven. This type of double action ensures that the finished product is light and fluffy. Single-acting baking powders are mainly used by manufacturers and are usually not available for retail sale (refer to here).
2) Spread some frostings at the bottom of the boob cakes before placing on the cake board to fix the position.
(Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's Magic Steamed Cakes)