Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Crispy Oven-Baked Roasted Pork 脆皮烧肉


I have tried making roasted pork several times, despite there are many recipes around, I still stick to the simplest recipe which I used for my first attempt.

I made this roasted pork on the eve of Chinese New Year. I would say this was my best attempt. The skin was extremely crispy. I could hear the crackling sound when I munched on it. Hmmmm……so yummy (and sinful) !!

There is no secret, the key here is patience. Just prolong the baking, check every 10 mins until the cracklings are all over. Need not worry about certain part get burnt; the charred part can be easily scraped away.

I am using 1:1:1:1 ratio, i.e 1kg of pork belly to 1 tbsp of salt, 1 tbsp of white pepper and 1 tbsp of five-spice powder. Easy to remember right? So if you have 1.5kg of pork belly, just use 1.5 times of the seasonings.


Crispy Oven-Baked Roasted Pork 脆皮烧肉
(Recipe source: Angel of Cook.Bake.Love)

Ingredients:
1 kg pork belly (do not cut into thin strip)
1 tbsp salt (I used fine sea salt)
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp five-spice powder

Method:
1) Clean the pork belly and pat dry all over with kitchen paper towel.
2) Score the meat about 2cm apart both vertically and horizontally (do not score the skin).
3) Prick all over the skin with a sharp skewer (I used the tip of a small knife). Prick as much holes as possible. This step is very crucial to ensure crackling on the skin.
4) Rub skin and meat with salt all over.
5) Mix white pepper and five-spice powder and rub into the meat including the scored areas (do not rub on the skin).
6) Leave the pork belly in fridge uncovered, skin side up, for a few hours. This is to dry up the skin, so that it will become crispy after baking.
7) Take out pork belly 30 mins to 1 hour before baking to thaw in room temperature. Put the pork belly on a grill with skin side up (remember to have a tray lined with aluminium foil below to catch the oil).
8) Bake in preheated oven, upper rack, at 200C for 50 mins, adjust to 220C and continue to bake for another 10 mins. Check the skin, if there is still spot that is not crackling, switch to upper fire (so that the meat won’t be over baked), bake for another 10 mins at 220C. Repeat this step (check every 10 mins), turn the position of pork belly if necessary, until the cracklings are all over. If there is certain spot where the crackling is not so well done after prolonged baking, try to wipe away the oil and rub some salt on the skin before baking. Scrape away the charred part with a tong or knife before serving.

Note:
1) The roasted pork in the picture is yielded from 1.6kg of raw pork belly.
2) The bigger the pork belly usually the longer the baking time.
3) Usually you will need the amount of salt stated in the recipe (if not more) but for the marinade (white pepper + five-spice powder), just use sufficient amount for the entire meat area, need not finish all.

Making roasted pork is not difficult at all, just need time and patience for the baking part. The most challenging part is cleaning. The oil will splash all over the oven. Don’t say I never warn you. Unless I find an effective way to clean the oven or have a helper, I will make this a yearly affair to bake for CNY only.

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) hosted by Wen’s Delight.

10 comments:

  1. 哇哈哈哈~那天本来想弄烧肉吃的
    可担心烤箱的清理工作:$

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!and thanks for sharing. I am heeding your warning of an oily oven at the end and probably will attempt it next CNY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha....I just plan to bake roasted pork on this sat^^
    But I think I will skip the five spice powder :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’ll be a shame to only roast this yummy dish once a year. ;-) Check out Christine’s blog on how to minimise the oven-cleaning part, post roasting.
    Read more: http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2011/03/crispy-roast-pork-belly.html#ixzz1TuxUiAvY

    And BTW, I use the lard collected for stir-frying. It's fragrant & awesome - nothing will stick to the wok at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, you really inspired me to make this! i want to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 你做的烧肉很诱人 !

    虽然它是我的最爱,不过做烧肉对我来说有点难度 ,我还是去买来吃好了 !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess,
    我的老牙久烤箱不要紧,如果我也拥有崭新的美美烤箱我想我也舍不得拿来烤烧肉。


    Janine,
    Thank you.


    Anonymous,
    You are welcome! Please leave your name next time ya.


    Wendy,
    I think 5-spice powder is very important in roasted pork leh....u shure u want to skip? hehe


    natasya,
    Thanks for your sharing. Unfortunately I don't own a conventional oven.


    lena,
    Not "one day", make it "today"! hehe


    Yan,
    如果你不介意清洗涤工作,做烧肉一点也不难。

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I have learnt to clean the oven after baking oily things is to put a bowl of water with some dishwashing liquid and a piece of cloth inside the bowl and in the heated oven for a few mins. I found that it's works for me, Hope it helps you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous,

    Thanks for your tips. I will try your method.

    Do leave your name when you comment next time ya. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"