Wednesday, May 9, 2012
看人让人欢喜的～彩虹蒸蛋糕 Steamed Rainbow Cake
这蒸蛋糕本身已经很好吃，它比一般传统的鸡蛋糕来得湿润，味道也比较rich，应该是加了椰浆的原故。我用的是50% less fat的 UHT trim coconut milk（Ayam brand青色盒子的），椰浆的味道不会太浓，正合我意。
This is a very tasty steamed cake, soft and moist. The taste is richer than the traditional steamed cake (ji dan gao) due to the coconut milk added. This recipe is definitely a keeper to me.
Steamed Rainbow Cake
(Recipe adapted from Yochana’s Cake Delights with minor changes)
6 large eggs
250g sugar (I used 190g but I think can reduce to 180g)
2 tsp vanilla essence (I used 1 tsp vanilla extract)
280g cake flour, sifted
¼ tsp salt
200ml coconut milk (I used Ayam brand trim coconut milk)
few drops of green colouring (I also added 1 tsp home-made pandan essence)
few drops of red colouring
few drops yellow colouring
1) Prepare steamer. Line and grease an 8" round tin.
2) Whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla until mixture is thick and pale in colour (it took about 8-9 mins for my mixer to beat till ribbon stage).
3) Using spatula, fold in flour, salt and coconut milk in small amounts till well mixed (alternate flour and coconut milk, start and end with flour).
4) Divide mixture into 3 equal parts. Stir in red colouring into one part, green into one part and yellow colouring into the 3rd part.
5) Pour 1 ladle of green mixture into tin and steam for 5 - 10 mins. Repeat with red mixture, follow by yellow mixture till mixture is used up.
5) Steam cake for another 15 - 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove cake to a wire rack and leave to cool before unmoulding it.
1) What I did was to divide each colour mixture into 2 equal part to make it 6 layers, each layer steam for 5 mins, except the last layer I steamed for 20 mins. The batter weighs about 1kg, you may divide the batter according to the number of colours/layers you want to achieve.
2) Bang the batter on tabletop before steaming to release any big bubbles.
3) The colour of the batter is what you get after steaming, so adjust the colouring according to your own liking.
4) If you are not using a bomboo steamer, wrap the cover with cloth to prevent water from dripping to the cake.