Monday, May 21, 2012
Mum’s Cucur Ikan Bilis (Anchovies Fritters) 妈妈的炸江鱼仔饼
上回分享了用预拌粉炸的cucur ikan bilis时我说过会尝试make from scratch, 这就是我效仿妈妈做的cucur ikan bilis，我们家口中的“江鱼仔Kuih”。
These anchovies fritters are my family’s all-time favourite, they are crispy outside and soft inside, best served and eaten right after they are done with a cup of kopi-O. I tried to imitate my mum’s version and it came out pretty close.
Mum’s Cucur Ikan Bilis (Anchovies Fritters)
(Recipe source: trial and error by Angel of Cook.Bake.Love)
1 large onion (sliced)
30g ikan bilis/anchovies (lightly pounded and chopped)
150g self-raising flour
50g plain flour
1 tsp potato starch or cornstarch (optional)
1 ½ tbsp home-made rempah (spice/chili paste)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp chicken stock powder without MSG
¼ tsp salt
1) Add (A) in a mixing bowl, mix well.
2) Add (B), mix well with a hand whisk till smooth. Rest for 5 mins.
3) Heat oil, spoon batter into hot oil and fry over medium heat till golden brown.
1) Home-made rempah can be replaced by store bought one. If it is not available, can add some chopped chili padi instead.
2) I have tried with and without potato starch. The batter with potato starch yields slightly softer texture but outside still remain as crispy. So it is personal preference whether to add potato starch.
3) The amount of seasonings is just based on my estimation. Adjust according to your own taste buds.