Banana Nutella filling and cheddar cheese filling, which one you prefer?
The banana Nutella filling one is especially for my mom who doesn't like cheese. I asked mom if it was nice, my mom answered it was not nice.... it was very nice! :)
I tasted both. I would say both were nice but if I were to choose I would prefer the cheese one as the savory cheddar cheese make the whole thing 咸咸甜甜 (savory and sweet), something I couldn't resist. It tasted good by itself or you may also serve with fruits and jam.
The texture of the "omelette" is light and fluffy like a sponge cake, that's the reason I name it as "Sponge Omelette". The step that makes it sponge like is by beating eggs and sugar till very thick and fluffy (ribbon stage). This can be easily achieved by using an electronic mixer. Of course this can also be achieved by hand whisk but extra time and effort are needed.
Below is how the Sponge Omelette looks like before cutting. Obviously the "fatter" one is with banana Nutella filling.
Ingredients: (yield 5 – 6 pieces)
3 large eggs
Few drops of vanilla extract/essence
Butter for frying
Filings - sliced cheddar cheese/ sliced bananas/ Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
1) Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed to reach ribbon stage (takes about 10 mins). Sift in flour and use a rubber spatula to fold in gently to the egg batter.
2) Heat up a non-stick pan and brush with butter (the surface of my pan surface is uneven type, that's why the "skin" of my omelette is not smooth. If possible, choose to use non-stick pan with smooth surface).
3) Add a ladle of batter to the centre of the pan and let the batter spread by itself (don't ever try to spread the batter). The batter is suppose to stay thick and looks like a pillow.
4) Cover pan with a lid and let the batter cook in the lowest flame.
5) When the surface of the batter starts to have tiny holes and the edges is in golden colour, open the lid and add fillings on half of the omelette.
6) Flip the other side over to form a semicircle, move it to the centre and continue to cook for about 1 min with lid on.
7) Open the lid, flip to the other side and continue to cook for another minute without lid or until golden brown.
8) Repeat step 2 to 7 with remaining batter.
9) Serve with fruits, jam or by itself.