This is my maiden attempt of Mille crêpe cake. I think it is quite fun to do it. I specially made this cake for my aunt's birthday, my aunt and all the recipients enjoyed the cake very much.
Ingredients: (make one 6” cake)
3 tbsp melted butter
A drop of vanilla extract (optional)
Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
210g plain flour
+/- 200g non-dairy whipping cream, whipped up*
½ cup blueberry topping
*If dairy whipping cream is used, add about 20g of sugar.
- Mix (A) and sift in (B), mix well (you can use a blender to blend everything till smooth too). Strain the batter and let it rest for at least 30 mins.
- Heat a 6” non-stick pan over medium low heat until hot. Butter the pan and add batter to the center of the pan (I used a ¼ measuring cup to measure the batter, each crepe I filled up about 80% of batter in the cup) then quickly swift the batter around to fill the bottom of the pan. Pour away excess batter (save for next crepe), if any.
- When the crepe no longer appears wet on top it's ready to flip. Use a silicone spatula to peel up an edge then carefully use fingers and spatula to peel away and flip the crepe and continue to fry for a few seconds (it should take much lesser time than the first side).
- Repeat till all batter is finished. Stir the batter once in a while before pan frying. If the pan is too hot, the batter will solidify before you have a chance to swirl it around so before frying the next crepe let the pan cool down for a while. What I did was to place the pan on a wet towel to cool down.
- To assemble the cake, spread whipping cream on one crepe, then spread 1 tbsp of blueberry topping on the whipping cream. Cover with another piece of crepe and repeat. Continue layering, saving the best-looking crepe for the top layer. Wrap with clip wrap and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up which is having EGG theme this month! This event is organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out.