A basic banana muffin is made extraordinary with a cinnamon-and-brown-sugar streusel topping. Personally I think that the crumb topping is too sweet for my liking even though I have cut down the sugar used. However, the banana muffin itself is a star, it is definitely a keeper to me.
Banana Crumb Muffin
Ingredients: (yield 12 standard size muffins)
190g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tso baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 bananas, mashed (I used 5 medium size bananas)
150g white sugar (I used 100g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
75g butter, melted
75g brown sugar (I used 50g)
15g plain flour
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (I think can use more)
1) Preheat oven to 190C. Line 12-hole muffin tray with paper liners.
2) In a large bowl, mix (A) together. In another bowl, combine (B) and mix well.
3) Stir (B) into (A) just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
4) For the crumb topping, mix sugar, flour and ground cinnamon in a small bowl, Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
5) Bake in preheated oven for about 18-20 mins until a toothpick inserted into center and comes out clean.
1) Suggest preparing the topping first and keep refrigerated before using.
2) You can use other crumb-topping recipe such this one, which I prefer.
(Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com by Lisa Kreft)