Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Wholesome Banana Pumpkin Bread 香蕉南瓜面包

When I saw this in Jane's Corner I knew I got to do it.

I like banana bread, I like pumpkin bread, I have made both before but I never think of combining both.


The pumpkin used in this bread is grated; unlike my previous attempts normally mashed (cooked) pumpkin is used.

It is just like carrot cake, which grated raw carrot is used. And I think that the grated pumpkin looks very much like grated carrot. Don't you think so?


I added extra bananas and used less pumpkin. This explains why my bread looks more "wet" than Jane's one. Probably this is also the same reason why the bread tasted just like banana bread; there is no hint of pumpkin (at all).


Moreover, the grated pumpkin is not visible after baking. I guess it is due to the type of pumpkin used. Australia pumpkin is nuttier than local (Malaysia) pumpkin.

Recipe adapted from Jane's Corner - Pumpkin Banana Bread. Since I used more bananas than pumpkin, I decided to rename it as "Banana Pumpkin Bread".

Ingredients:
(A)
125g self-raising flour
75g wholemeal self-raising flour (I used wholemeal flour + ¼ tsp baking powder)
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger (I omitted)
1 tsp ground nutmeg (I omitted)
¼ tsp ground allspice (I omitted)
¼ tsp salt
80g dark brown sugar
(B)
100ml olive oil
60ml low-fat natural yogurt (I replaced with buttermilk)
2 eggs
(C)
220g grated pumpkin (I used 170g only)
1 big ripe banana (mashed) (I used 4 medium bananas, about 270g)
(D)
40g chopped walnuts or pecans (pre-toasted)
Some rum-soaked raisins (optional)

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 14x22cm loaf tin.
2) In a large bowl, sift in flour and spice in (A). Add in sugar and salt, mix to combine.
3) In a medium bowl, add in (B) and whisk to combine. Then pour into the flour mixture, beat with electric mixer for 1 minute.
4) Stir in (C), beat for 30 seconds to combine.
5) Fold in (D).
6) Pour batter into prepared loaf tin, bake at 180C for about 50-60 minutes until cooked (I baked at 180C for first 10 mins and lower the temperature to 160C).
7) Remove from oven, stand in tin for 5-10 mins. Turn loaf onto a wire rack to cool before slicing to serve.

14 comments:

  1. tea time! may i have one?
    It looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is gorgeous angel pls leave a slice for me and looking at ur post i guess i need to make something pumpkinish tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious, I always wanna try to use pumpkin for baking, may be soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first glance I really thought it was carrot... haha. I've never used pumpkin in my baking before ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehee...looks quite like my soft carrot cake but of course I did not add pumpkin. Must try this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the combination of both pumpkin and carrot that yields such a flavorful cake. This sure looks and taste good for teatime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everyone, thanks for your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angel, I would like to ask you something:

    I saw a Pound Cake recipe from a Chinese book that uses both 红糖 and 黄砂糖. Do you know what is the difference between the both and their English names?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hanushi,

    Refering from some taiwan recipe books that I have, below is what I found out.

    红糖,also known as 黑糖. It's very dark in colour, you can find in supermarket (under the dry food dept NOT baking dept) or medical hall. Need to sieve before using.

    黄砂糖, also known as 赤砂糖or二砂糖。具天然的蔗糖香味,细颗粒状,可取代细砂糖加入打发的蛋液或面糊材料中。The photo shown in the book is in light brown colour.

    I am very sure what 红糖 is but not sure what 黄砂糖 is. I thought it could be brown sugar but in another chinese book I have, brown sugar is known as 金砂糖。

    If I were you, I will just use brown sugar (lighter colour one).

    Hope my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Angel dear,

    Really thanks a lot, it is definitely worth more than "two-cents" to me!! Hehe :D

    Saw that you post the reply at 12mn, really appreciate and *paiseh* that you going through your books and replying at such late hours.

    I think I know what you mean by 红糖 now, esp since you give so many "clues".

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the light brown sugar for 黄砂糖, yupz, I think I will do that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"