Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Steam Baked Chocolate Yogurt Cake 蒸烤巧克力优格蛋糕

I had 100g of natural yogurt leftover from making mango yogurt ice cream (my third time actually) which was expiring soon. So I flipped through my recipe book collection to try to find something that required yogurt in the ingredient. It didn’t take me too long time to found this recipe that called for 50g of yogurt. Since the recipe size was very small, I decided to double the recipe and it was just nice to use up 100g of yogurt.

This cake was quite dense as little raising agent was used. Due to the steam bake method (and also because of the yogurt?) the inner texture was very moist, tasted a bit like a fudge cake. My family didn’t seem to appreciate this kind of texture and they thought that the cake was uncooked.

Taste wise, it was quite chocolaty and I couldn’t taste trace of coconut even though coconut cream powder was added. It probably only made the cake more creamy.

This is a straightforward and easy recipe. Anyone who likes chocolate cake may consider giving it a try.

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted.

Recipe adapted from 《孟老师的100道小蛋糕》, I reproduced the recipe in English.

Steam Baked Chocolate Yogurt Cake

Ingredients:
(A)
160g unsalted butter (soften at room temperature)
100g brown sugar (I used 90g white sugar)
(B)
1 large egg (60g without shell)
100g natural yogurt
(C)
160g low protein flour (cake flour or top flour)
30g cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking soda
(D)
20g coconut cream powder

Method:
1) Cream (A) till light and fluffy.
2)Add (B) and beat till combined.
3) Sieve in (C) and add (D), then fold in with a rubber spatula till just incorporated (the batter is thick and resembles chocolate ice cream).
4) Fill up moulds (I used silicone cups) till 80% full. Steam bake in preheated oven at 185C (or 190C/180C upper/lower heat) by placing moulds on a tray that filled with about 1cm height of hot water for about 25-30 mins or till a skewer inserted and come out clean (I baked for about 30-35 mins, refill the hot water if necessary).

Note:
1) The above is double of original recipe. Yield 6 large cupcakes.
2) I find the top crust is a bit dry due to long baking time, should be cover the top loosely with aluminium foil half way.
3) Suggest following the recipe to use 100g of sugar. I used 90g and felt that the cake would taste nicer with it was slightly sweeter.
4) I used Pauls brand natural yogurt which is thicker than some brands such as F&N and Nestle. So I think the texture of the cake may turn out slightly different depending on the brand of yogurt used.

10 comments:

  1. yup..it's look good ...
    I like moist cake instead..

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm... i love moist cake. Thanks for sharing this recipe :) Between, can u do me a favor? I cant get in Jessie's blog - Hearty Bakes. Anyway can get her email 4me so that i can contact her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!!! ANything with Chocolate i will nom nom nom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love moist cake, next time want to try baking this. Chocolate is one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 蛋糕组织很湿润,一定很好吃 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. 我记得我好像只做一两次steam cake,觉得你的蛋糕不错,有空的时候一定会试试看,谢谢分享 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Looks good & chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all,
    Thank you for your lovely comments.

    Hi Anncoo,
    这个是像做cheesecake时一样拥water bath的方法来steam baked的。我觉得巧克力蛋糕用蒸烤的方法比烤的比较不带热气。你可以试试看。

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"