Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Peach Panna Cotta 桃子奶酪

Panna cotta (from Italian cooked cream) is an Italian dessert made by simmering together cream, milk and sugar, mixing this with gelatin, and letting it cool until set. (Click here to read more.)

I made a lighter version by replacing heavy cream with full cream milk. This is my first time making panna cotta since I have not tasted a "real" one before (I should have tried it out one day in an Italian restaurant), so I can't say whether mine is good or not.

Whatever it is, I like it a lot. Texture wise, it's creamy and silky smooth. Taste wise, very milky with a nice scent from the condensed milk that I have added. I served with the leftover canned peach and fresh blueberries from making Fruit Pastry Cake (yes, I made this cake again).

Unfortunately, my family members who dislike milk and almost all kind of dairy products don't seem to like it. They prefer something like this. I made 6 cups, what should I do with the rest? I seriously do not need extra calories!

Ingredients:
2 tsp gelatin powder
3 tbsp water
2 cups (480ml) full cream milk
1 ½ tbsp condensed milk (see note)
1 tbsp sugar
Some canned peach and fresh fruits (berries are highly recommended)

Method:
1) Sprinkle gelatin in water, set aside to allow the gelatin to swell for about 10 mins.
2) Combine the remaining ingredients (except fruits) in a saucepan over medium low heat, stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves and tiny bubbles appear around the edge of the pan, remove from heat and add the gelatin, stir until it is thoroughly incorporated.
3) Pour the milk mixture into small ramekins/cups and add 1tbsp of peach cubes to each cup, leave to cool at room temperature and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
4) Serve with canned peach slices and other fresh fruits. Top with 1tsp of syrup from the canned peach (optional).

Note:
I don't usually buy condensed milk, it happened that I have some leftover in the the fridge so I added in some for its nice scent. If you were to omit it, I suggest replacing by 1tbsp of sugar and 1tsp of vanilla extract.

17 comments:

  1. Refreshing light dessert, yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is full cream milk? Can I use fresh milk, for example, MARIGOLD HL Milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! But I'll substitute with something else because I don't like condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made Panna Cotta before and I like this dessert very much. Yours look great, with blueberries :) I will make this again in near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, dessert!!! no need try already know it is delicious...they are so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hanushi,

    Full cream milk which has higher fat content is oppose to low-fat milk. The HL milk that you mentioned is low-fat milk. Look for the words "full cream" on the milk package. You may use either fresh milk or UHT milk (just in case I have confused u, UHT milk is milk processed with high temprerature, you can always find it on the shelve of supermarket beverage dept whereas fresh milk is stored in the fridge).

    ReplyDelete
  7. suma/ Blessed Homemaer,

    Yes, it tasted refreshing when serving with fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anncoo,

    My mum dislikes the taste of condensed milk too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Min,

    Hope to see you blog about ur Panna Cotta soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 骄傲的王子,

    Thank you for your compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo... I have learnt something new today, all thanks to your clear and detailed explanation and direction.

    I understand now. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hihi,

    It is me again. Want to ask if you know any fresh milk (dairy fridge section of supermarket) brands that are full cream.

    I walked through the whole supermarket. Seem like full cream milk can only be found under UHT (beverage) sections.

    I am located in Singapore. Sorry for my stupid question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hanushi,

    No question is stupid question. I will try my best to answer all questions in my blog.

    I think the yellow/white packaging Magonia brand fresh milk is full cream milk. It can be found at the dairy fridge section.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hihi,

    Thanks for answering my question. You really help/teach me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hanushi,

    Don't mention.

    I am just sharing. We learn from each others. That's the beauty of blogging. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

Please click on "Anonymous" if you do not have any profiles on any of those listed, and leave your name below the comment so that I will know how to address you when I reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"总觉得用心准备的食物不只是味蕾的触动,也是一个记忆,一个我想留给身边心爱的人的记忆。这也就是我用心做菜,细心专研的原因和推动力。"