I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers # 20 – Asian Dessert Buffet (June 2012), hosted by Moon of Food Playground.
Tau Suan (Caramelized Method)
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1.5 litre water
Bundles of pandan leaves (tie into knot)
250g split mung beans
3 tbsp granulated sugar
50g sweet potato flour (original recipe calls for 30g water chestnut flour and 20g sweet potato flour)
Granulated sugar to taste
1) Wash and soak split mung beasn for 5 mins and drain (use a fine strainer).
2) Place water and pandan leaves in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer at low heat.
3) Meanwhile, place mung beans in a frying pan. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar and stir-fry continuously over low heat till the mung beans caramelized (about 8~10 mins).
4) Transfer mung beans into the pot of water (you may discard the pandan leaves before this or leave it in the soup before adding sugar). Bring it back to boil. Leave to boil for another 5~10 mins. Taste the beans for the preferred texture. Cook a couple of mins longer if prefers softer texture. Add sugar taste. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
5) Dissolve sweet potato flour with 50ml of water. Stir in gradually. Turn off the heat once it comes to a boil. Best serve with you tiao or dough fritters.
In order to get a nice consistency do follow the ingredient amount closely, especially the amount of water, amount of water chestnut/sweet potato flour.
(Recipe adapted from Makansutra Cooking as seen at Happy Home Baking)
Yum yum ~ I want this from my afternoon tea!ReplyDelete
Pls help urself.
This look like a perfect combo, yummy!ReplyDelete
Is this common in KL?
My favourite dessert but only me eat at home so no chance to cook this. Can i sneak a bowl from you?ReplyDelete
Sure, pls help urself.
anything caramelized is a must try in my book - and this looks extra delicious because i love tau suan!!ReplyDelete
Try it up. I am going to cook this again .
I have learned a new way of making tau suan from you. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
U are welcome!
Ah Loy (girl),Delete
This is my absolute favourite cooked dessert!! Yummy!!ReplyDelete
Thanks for ur comment.
I love it too!