I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers # 3: My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) hosted by j3ss kitch3n.
125g salted butter, soften at room temperature
40g icing sugar (see note)
125g potato starch (马铃薯粉/上等生粉/风车粉/太白粉)
80g superfine flour (can be replaced by plain flour)
8 - 9 heaped tbsp pork floss (replaced with chicken floss as you wish)
3 - 4 tbsp water (or slightly more)
1) Beat butter and icing sugar till fluffy and lighter in colour, sift in potato starch and flour, mix to incorporate with the butter mixture.
2) Fold in pork floss and 2 tbsp water, mix well, slowly adds the remaining water to form soft dough (if more pork floss is used, you will need more water, so adjust the amount accordingly).
3) Roll into small ball of ½ level tbsp each, lightly flatten in palm, arrange on lined baking pan. Tap little bit of water on top with a wet fork/spoon/finger, add some sesame and press lightly. Bake in preheated oven at 150C for 20 mins, upper rack.
1) I think the sugar can be slightly reduced since pork floss is also sweetened. If I were to bake this again I will reduce the icing sugar to 30g.
2) There is more than one type of pork floss in the market; the type I used is the traditional type (not the crispy one), same as the type used in pork floss bun sold at Breadtalk (bakery shop).
3) For variation, I think can also add in some chopped seaweed, the taste shall blend in well.
Angela so happy you made this post! looks very delish! happy rabbit year!ReplyDelete
Happy Rabbit year to you too!
Thanks for your reminder email and follow up I am so sorry. You are a great host. :)
This is interesting! Happy CNY to u and family too!ReplyDelete
Gong Xi Fa Cai, Angela!ReplyDelete
Happy Lunar New Year 兔 you ^_^
Pork floss cookies sounds good, and special too! Thanks for sharing.
Wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous lunar new year!
Hi, instead of potato starch can substitute with anything ? ThanksReplyDelete
I think the unique texture of this cookie comes from the potato starch, so it is adviable not to substiture it with anyrthing else.