This cake is very famous among Chinese bloggers, the word “seckill” in the urban dictionary means the item is very popular, each transaction is made in seconds. I tried to translate the recipe to English so that readers who can't read Chinese will also be able to make this moist and airy cake as well. This is definitely another keeper for chocolate chiffon cake after my favourite recipe from Okashi.
Seckill Chocolate Cake
Ingredients: (make 2 round 6-inch cakes)
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
50g vegetable oil
15g cocoa powder
100g bittersweet chocolate
90g egg yolk
180g egg white
120g castor sugar (I used 110g)(see note)
75g low protein flour (sifted)
150g dairy whipping cream/ heavy cream
120g bittersweet chocolate (I used dark couverture chocolate)
1) Cook oil and milk till gentle boil, remove from heat and add in cocoa powder. Mix well. Add chocolate and mix till chocolate melted.
2) Add egg yolks, one at a time, mix till well blended.
3) With an electric mixer, beat egg white till foamy, add sugar in 3 additions, and beat till soft peak (70-80%) (7-8分发) (When lifted, the tip of the meringue has soft and small bend).
4) Take 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula till 80% incorporated (need not mix till fully incorporated). Fold in 1/3 of flour gently, mix till just incorporated. Fold in remaining meringue and flour alternatively to form even chocolate batter.
5) Divide batter into 2 loose-bottom round 6-inch pans. Bake in preheated oven at 170C(upper heat)/ 150C(lower heat) for 30-35 mins (I baked at 150C for 20 mins and 175C for the last 10-15 mins).
6) Bang the cake on tabletop once it is out from the oven and invert to cool the cake. Loosen the side with a small knife and unmould after the cake has cool down completely.
7) To prepare chocolate ganache, combine dairy cream and chocolate and cook over double boiler, stir constantly till chocolate melted then add butter and mix well. My method is to heat up the cream till gentle boil then pour into chocolate, stir till chocolate is melted and add in butter.
8) Place cool cake on wire rack with a tray/bowl underneath and pour chocolate ganache on the centre of the cake, use both hands to hold the wire rack and swirl to let the ganache cover the whole cake. Chill for at least 30 mins or until the ganache is set before serving.
1) Adjust the sugar amount according to the type of chocolate used. If you are using normal cooking chocolate you may have to reduce the sugar further.
2) I didn’t follow exactly the ratio of the chocolate ganache, I used slightly more chocolate and I added 1 tbsp of rum in half portion of the ganache for one 6” round cake.
3) Trim the top of cake to become flat if necessary and place upside down when adding the ganache so that you will have a perfect flat top.
(Recipe adapt from 《美味糕点新主张》by 薛纪娟)